The links on this page will lead you to policies in university handbooks, as well as other pieces of useful information.
MSU has three Executive Vice Presidents, who report to the President, for: Academic Affairs (Provost), Administration, and Health Sciences. Human resources, with the exception of issues related to benefits, are separate for academic and support staff employees. Faculty and academic staff are administered through Academic Human Resources (overseen by Suzanne Lang); support staff are administered through Human Resources (overseen by Sharon Butler).
For concerns with academic employees, please contact Academic Human Resources by emailing AHR@msu.edu or calling 353-5300. For concerns relating to support staff, please contact Employee Relations by emailing email@example.com or calling 353-5510. Please also be sure to consult with the office of your dean.
The calendar shows the general pattern of scheduling across the year at MSU. Please note that some dates may be modified slightly during the year, and that Colleges often have their own deadlines that precede university level due dates.
Faculty Rights and Responsibilities
Additional information is available on academic freedom, as well as policies on academic tenure and governance, teaching, research and creative activities, public service, and working with colleagues in the context of the university and community.
Faculty and Academic Staff
- List of appointment categories (including academic ranks and titles)
- Sample offer letters
- Various policies and procedures, including:
– Academic Hiring Manual
– Union of the Non-Tenure Track Faculty (UNTF) Designation B
– Summer Appointments
- Continuing system and senior academic specialist appointments
- Fixed-term academic specialist appointments
- Visiting and fixed-term appointments
- An overview of the process, and links to policies and procedures
- Information related to new employees
- Probationary period
- Procedures for all employees, from central HR
- Retirement, Separation, Termination (includes separate links for  Faculty and Academic Staff and  Support Staff)
- If you are not reappointing a UNTF faculty member, see the information HERE.
Discipline and Dismissal for Cause
General Tenure System Policies
Includes Policies On
- RPT recommendations at the university and college levels
- Extending the tenure clock
- Faculty review, including post-tenure review
- Modified duties
- Post-tenure review
- Primary and joint appointments, also see the Multiple Appointment Memo
- Faculty and academic staff parental leave
- Tenured faculty – sabbatical
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA). See detailed information at the FAQ link on this page.
- Faculty and Academic Staff Leave Programs and Time Off
- Support Staff Sick Leave
- Support Staff FMLA Policies and Procedures
- Support Staff other time off
- Medical Leave for Full-time Faculty and Academic Staff (short and long-term disability)
- Faculty and Academic Staff Leave of Absence without Pay
- Support Staff Leave of Absence without Pay
- Policy for faculty and academic staff
- The Faculty Grievance & Dispute Resolution Office is responsible for administering the policy for faculty and academic staff
- Policies on grievances and discipline for support staff
- Information related to student grievances (also includes links to student ‘rights and responsibilities’ documents)
- Policies associated with evaluations across the range of academic appointment types. Some suggestions for tenure system annual reviews are also available at this link. Note the model and form (PDF) at the bottom of the page for fixed-term faculty and academic staff.
- Support staff probationary periods
- Support staff performance reviews
Faculty and Academic Staff Administrative Forms
Contains forms for many actions, including:
- Leaving MSU
- Leave Programs (e.g., sabbatical)
- Pay, Rewards, and Recognition
- Performance Review and Development – Fixed-term faculty and academic staff
- Reappointment, Promotion, and Tenure
– Academic Specialist
– Health Programs
– Tenure System
Collective Bargaining Agreements
Unions are associated with many employment groups on campus. The UNTF covers fixed-term faculty with teaching responsibilities, and the Graduate Employees Union (GEU) covers graduate students with teaching responsibilities. Support staff at MSU are associated with nine separate groups; the Administrative Professionals Association (APA), Administrative Professional Supervisors Association (APSA), and the Clerical-Technical Union (CTU) are likely the most relevant for leaders/administrators within colleges, departments, and schools. View the contracts.
- Academic salary adjustment guidelines are typically updated each year.
These guidelines are typically updated each year. Note that processes may vary across colleges, so it is important to consult with the administrators in college offices about details.
- Guidelines for individuals in the UNTF
- Basic information on the raise process for support staff
- Basic Information on the raise process for support staff
- Also see FAQ’s on merit pay for support staff
Effort Reporting for Sponsored Projects
Misconduct in Research and/or Creative Activities
Misconduct includes plagiarism, fabrication, falsification, and other research activities that seriously deviate from accepted practices in the research community.
Procedures Concerning Allegations of Misconduct in Research and Creative Activities
Conflict of Interest
- Faculty (policies are under the Guidelines tab at the top of the page)
- Employees university-wide
- Form for reporting a conflict of interest for faculty & academic staff
Relationship Violence and Sexual Misconduct
Harassment and Discrimination
Disability and Reasonable Accommodation
Budget and Finance
- Manual of Business Procedures. The table of contents link at the bottom of this page provides convenient access to individual topics, including reimbursement for food & beverage, and travel authorization & reimbursement.
- Purchasing Policies and Procedures
- Basic information and tools from the Office of Planning and Budgets
- Faculty Outside Work for Pay
- Academic Salary/Raises
- Current MSU Budgets and Salaries
- Overload Pay (includes statement on summer appointments)
- Summer appointment procedures
- Purchasing. Information can be found at this website on polices, as well as possibilities; approved vendors can be found at the Spartan Marketplace link (top left, below the welcome).