The teaching and learning function of the Office of Faculty and Academic Staff Development is focused fundamentally on teacher learning. Our goal is to directly develop the professional proficiency of our academic colleagues and enable them to better support the success of all MSU students. We provide dynamic and responsive educator development, aligned by shared language around teaching competency areas. Through alignment and with central support, departments and colleges can co-design consistent, fulsome, credentialed, rewarded and sustainable training in teaching and learning practice for educators across roles and disciplines.
Teaching & Learning Events
Learning Communities, formerly known as Faculty Learning Communities, are ongoing discussion groups that allow MSU colleagues to gather from across departments in order to develop their skills (and even create new resources) related to a specific teaching and learning topic.
These sessions are focused on innovative approaches to teaching, learning, and assessment at the university level. These enable faculty and academic staff to explore a variety of strategies for enhancing learning and instruction. OFASD partners with several other units on campus to present the following:
- Starting an Academic Career in Unusual Times
- 2021 #iteachmsu Ask Me Anything
- The ASPIRE (Asynchronous Program for Instructional Readiness) workshop
- Trauma-Informed Practice (resources for best practices in the classroom)
- Tools, Technology, Pedagogical Design Workshop Opportunities
- MSU IT – Technology Orientation for All
- MSU IT – Technology Orientation for Teaching and Learning
- MSU IT – Technology Orientation for Research
Additional campus events related to Teaching and Learning may be found on the Calendar.
The Office of Faculty and Academic Staff Development offers several alternatives for individual conversations about teaching and learning with any instructor of a course at MSU.
- Classroom Observations
- Consultations on Teaching and Learning
- Mid-Semester Student Feedback Sessions
For more information about consultation, observation, or feedback sessions, please contact the Office of Faculty and Academic Staff Development at OFASD@msu.edu.
Teaching & Learning Spring Conference
2023 Spring Conference on Teaching & Learning: Community, Conversation, and Classroom Experience, organized by the Center for Teaching & Learning Innovation (CTLI).
Resources for Teaching & Learning
- Important University Policies for Faculty and Academic Staff
- Inclusive Resources
- Resources on Civility and Community Enhancement in Academic Environments
- Green Folder Resources to Navigate Difficult Situations
- Information for undocumented people
- #iteachmsu Commons to connect, learn and grow with other educators
- SIRS Policy
- SIRS Q&A
- Syllabus Resources (Provided by the Office of the University Ombudsperson)
- Syllabus Support
- Test Scanning & Scoring