The Adams Academy Fellowship Program
The Adams Academy invites applicants for its 2022-2023 cohort. This call for proposals will remain open until April 30, 2022.
This annual OFASD program brings together a cross-disciplinary group of faculty and academic staff for a year-long fellowship focused on advanced topics in teaching and learning. Over the course of the academic year, Adams Academy fellows:
- complete communal and self-directed readings on educational theory and practice;
- meet monthly to discuss select teaching and learning topics; and
- develop a paper or presentation on a self-selected educational topic or technique; or reflective essay.
Up to twelve Adams Academy members will be selected for the 2022-2023 cohort. Criteria for selection includes a minimum of three years of teaching service at Michigan State University plus evidence of teaching excellence demonstrated through a cover letter, academic curriculum vitae, a teaching philosophy statement, and a letter of support from a Chair, Director, or Dean.
Academy applicants must plan to teach one or more courses or have other instructional responsibilities during their participation in the Academy.
Each participant will be provided with $3,000 to be used for professional development in teaching and learning. The Office of the Provost will provide $1,500 to each of up to 12 fellows in the first year of their Adams participation. Each fellow’s home unit is expected to provide $1,500 in matching funds. Adams Academy Fellows will be expected to share their final paper, presentation, or themes from their reflective essay with the next year’s cohort of Adams Fellows or other agreed upon university community event. Where relevant, fellows are encouraged to publish work in relevant venues or present at professional events and/or disciplinary conferences. A portion of the stipend could be used to support expenses in these pursuits.
Required Application Documents
- Completed application form
- Cover Letter (explain your teaching experience, expertise, and interest in the Adams Academy)
- A current curriculum vitae
- One page teaching philosophy statement
- Letter of support from Chair, Director, Dean or Supervisor