Welcome to the 2020-2021 academic year! Whether this is the start of a new academic career or a position at a new institution, we at the Academic Advancement Network (AAN) hope that the New Faculty and Academic Staff Orientation will be a productive engagement for you.
As you’re embarking on this new path or new academic year, we want to support you in prioritizing reflection and planning for success in your distinct career domains. In considering valuable resources for establishing and advancing your goals in the realms of research, scholarship, and creative activities, I’d like to share a few of the many beneficial resources available at MSU.
Select resources to support research development, cultivation, and integrating research with other commitments as you get started:
Nuts and bolts of initiating and supporting your research or scholarly agenda
- MSU Research Orientation: provision of policies related to research at MSU
- Preparing grant proposals and seeking funding support: The Office of the Vice President Research and Innovation offers a wealth of proposal services to assist in seeking funding, preparing proposals, access to grants writers, and more
Student research and mentoring
- Mentoring and support graduate students (The Graduate School)
- Engaging undergraduates in research
Broader impacts development and outreach and engagement
- Integrating community engagement approaches and finding partners
- Developing broader impacts (BI) goals and a BI plan
- Look for announcements about 2020-2021 AAN Learning Communities, based on community-proposed topics that support learning and community building.
- Activate your membership (at no cost due to MSU’s institutional membership) with The National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity, which offers live and recorded webinars, courses, and workshops to support academic career responsibility including research related
- For faculty of color and scholars engaged in diversity research, engage with MSU’s Diversity Research Network (DRN), Office of Inclusion and Intercultural Initiatives
Learn more about research and scholarship. Also, feel free to reach out to arrange a consultation (with individuals one-on-one or small groups).
Sincere best wishes for an amazing academic year!!